Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Reliable diesel locomotive

Post by yozh »

Hi, all.

I'm a big fun of OpenTTD, but I'm newbie on this forum.

I'm complaining about a problem.

I'm playing in 1996, and the best locomotive available to buy has only 76% reliability (not counting doubles that are slightly better). So all my trains are constantly crashing.

I could make all trains and tracks electrifed, but I don't like too. At least because is is misconception that there is no place for diesel trains in XXI century. There is a large area in Siberia (or in USA) where railways are very very long, and won't be ever electrifed, because rail electrification is expensive and worthy only for high traffic lines. And because of this reason, Siberia coal won't be ever transfered by monorail or maglev trains.

And I don't believe, that modern industry cannot provide reliable diesel locomotive.

So my feature request is: please keep at least one reliable diesel locomotive forever. Such locomotive should not be so fast as electric to keep the game balance.

Thank you.
FHS
Director
Director

Re: Reliable diesel locomotive

Post by FHS »

Three Options:

1. Electrify
2. Use a NewGRF
3. Disable Breakdowns
yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yozh »

FHS wrote:Three Options:
2. Use a NewGRF
Is there simple howto or something? I've installed UK Renewal Set using in-game installer, because it is "most probably the most popular". Game told me, that some train length is wrong, and game may crash (and I should not fill bugreports). I answered, I agree, continue. And then game crashed.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Were you trying to add a NewGRF in a running game? Sometimes when you try that, it will cause a crash.
If you are, there is a possible solution - don't take my word for it that it works, I haven't tried it, but I think it'll work.
Make sure in Advanced Settings the switch "Enable Multiple NewGRF Engine Sets" (Or something similar to that, I can't remember the exact wording) is turned on.
Add the Original Engines GRF (Should be on Bananas, if not, try GRFCrawler) - don't hit apply yet though
Then add the train set you tried before, and hit apply.
In theory, this should keep all your existing trains, via the Original Engines, and also add the UKRS ones from the set you were trying to use. As OpenTTD warns you though, it may well cause crashes.
yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yozh »

Gremnon wrote: Add the Original Engines GRF
Is it the same as "Original vehicle names"?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

No, that's entirely different.
the GRF "Old Wagons with New Cargos" should do the trick as well, as it too uses the default vehicles, which is what you need to keep the current ones as they are without any problems.
yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yozh »

Gremnon wrote:No, that's entirely different.
the GRF "Old Wagons with New Cargos" should do the trick as well, as it too uses the default vehicles, which is what you need to keep the current ones as they are without any problems.
When I add both "Old Wagons with New Cargos" and UKRS game crashes after about 30 seconds.

I cannot "Enable Multiple NewGRF Engine Sets", game tells me that "there are vehicles".

Yes, I'm trying to add new locomotives into the long running game.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Can you provide a screenshot of the exact error it gives when you try to enable the switch?

Otherwise, I believe the only way you'll be able to play with UKRS, or any train set, is to begin a new game, I'm afraid.
yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yozh »

Gremnon wrote:Can you provide a screenshot of the exact error it gives when you try to enable the switch?
Screenshot of error: http://screencast.com/t/YmXGGYC3 (Train ... has invalid length, this may be caused by problems with NewGRFs. Game may desync or crash).
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

It has been said often enough on the forums: Changing NewGRFs in a running game is not supported. If you want to try out the UK Renewal Set, do so in a new game. If you really want to play in your current game, first sell all vehicles and then add ukrs, that might work.
yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yozh »

Thank you for the explaination.

Why not change original vehicles set a bit: keep one or two diesel engines available and reliable forever?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

No-one's pointed this out yet, but you can't change maximum reliability with a newgrf. The maximum reliability of each vehicle type is randomly set every time you start a new game.

If you turn on "Vehicles never expire" in advanced options, your diesel locomotives will be buildable and retain their maximum reliability as long as they're in use.
yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yozh »

PikkaBird wrote:No-one's pointed this out yet, but you can't change maximum reliability with a newgrf. The maximum reliability of each vehicle type is randomly set every time you start a new game.
AFAIU, reliability decreases over time. You tell that it happens for all vehicles. So even new super-duper maglev locomotive maximum reliability will be low after tens of game years, and then that locomotive disappears? So it is not possible to play single game forever? That's sad.
PikkaBird wrote: If you turn on "Vehicles never expire" in advanced options, your diesel locomotives will be buildable and retain their maximum reliability as long as they're in use.
Unfortunately, my locomotives are completely expired (not available to build), and after setting the option they haven't return.

Isn't it possible to get my locomotives back? Maybe game year can be adjusted to have the locomotive reinvented?
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

yozh wrote: Unfortunately, my locomotives are completely expired (not available to build), and after setting the option they haven't return.

Isn't it possible to get my locomotives back? Maybe game year can be adjusted to have the locomotive reinvented?
No, it isn't possible. Sorry.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

yozh wrote:You tell that it happens for all vehicles.
I didn't say that at all.
petert wrote:No, it isn't possible. Sorry.
Open the cheat menu and go back to a year when the vehicle was available. Open the console and type resetengines. Use the cheat menu to move the year forward again if you like.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

you do know that trains need servicing??
yozh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yozh »

PikkaBird wrote:
yozh wrote:You tell that it happens for all vehicles.
I didn't say that at all.
If super-duper vehicles do not expire, why not make some diesel locomotive not-expiring too?

BTW, what are exact rules, what happens with vehicles over time? I could write them to http://wiki.openttd.org/Vehicles .
PikkaBird wrote:No, it isn't possible. Sorry.
Open the cheat menu and go back to a year when the vehicle was available. Open the console and type resetengines. Use the cheat menu to move the year forward again if you like.[/quote]

Thanks!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

yozh wrote:BTW, what are exact rules, what happens with vehicles over time?
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... on0General

Read the section on model life, property 04.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

What about vehicles_never_expire patch configuration (if you want to increase reliability just reset_engines a few times to get to the desired number and have your trains visit depots once a while)? :shock:
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

@yozh:
"resetengines" will also rerandomize the reliabilities of all engines.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”